"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."
--Hebrews 12:1-4 (NIV, 1984)

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Station 2: Simon helps carry the cross | Reflection by Paul DeGuelle

“When they led Him away, they seized a man, Simon of Cyrene, coming in from the country, and placed on him the cross to carry behind Jesus.”
Luke 23:26 (NASB)

What does it mean to, “carry the cross,” in this Lent season? How do we posture ourselves as we approach Calvary? It will probably look different for all of us, but if we take part, in the end the result is the same, redemption.

For those of you that don’t know, I am a specialty contractor. Recently, a customer of mine and his general contractor made some decisions without letting me know until the last minute. Besides throwing off my schedule, there were installation ramifications taking place by the time I received his call. He seemed frustrated by finding out that details may not be quite right now. I was frustrated by not being able to be part of the conversation and provide the information he would have needed. Communication can be critical in every aspect of life. In the end, everything worked out ok, but there were a few details we both would have liked different.

I think my relationship with God over the years has worked in this same manner. I sometimes act impulsively towards God and without consideration. I can look back and see points in which I wish I had checked in with the Lord first before making decisions. If I’m honest, in most of those moments there was sin in my life and I didn’t want to approach Calvary truthfully. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (NASB). I love that God somehow redeems every mindless, selfish, missing-the-mark moment in life.

I believe the Lent season is a great place to work out our communication with the Lord, lay down those moments we didn’t get it right, place before him our cry for mercy, and dedicate ourselves to seeking him first. As we continue to walk through this season and approach Calvary, the Lord asks, “Will you walk with me?” The road to Calvary shouldering the cross may seem heavy, arduous or possibly painful at times. It might seem like we are forced into it, as Simon of Cyrene was. However it feels, remember the Lord is walking right in front of you bearing much more. As we bear the weight of the cross, he will shoulder our sins, the weight of the world and even redeem the mistakes we made; pick up the cross and walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind :)