"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."
--Hebrews 12:1-4 (NIV, 1984)

Monday, March 12, 2018

Station 4: Jesus is stripped of his clothes | Reflection by Kathy Lenz

Jesus on the cross: mocked, spit upon, soldiers casting lots for his garment. I always struggle reading this part of the Scripture, overwhelmed by a sense of powerlessness and sorrow. In my absent-mindedness I always ask the Lord, “Why? Why did you have to suffer and die?” “Why were they such fools?” … I know, it’s silly. I know better. He came to fulfill the Scripture. He came to fulfill the Father’s plan. But so often I forget.

Next to this Bible verse, there is a reference to go back to Psalm 22, where the exact verses appeared. Have you read Psalm 22? Take a moment now to go back and read it.

Psalm 22 was written by King David; it begins with the cry, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” Verse 14 continues, “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint…” Verses 15 and following: “My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet. All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment” (NIV).

Wait a minute. Who is suffering in Psalm 22? David? Or Jesus?

Put on a different lens; see the mystery and the revelation of God.

In my Christian life, I have seen the Father leaving trails of evidence throughout time, life events, people, dreams, or visions to reveal His plan. And I am never the one to “get it” the first time. In fact, I keep asking Him, “Why?”, “How could this happen?”, “What is the meaning of all this?” I used to get really stuck by asking these questions. But now, having understood the purpose of the Scripture, and having seen how He reveals His plan through His workmanship, created for His good purpose, I rest a lot more easily in the unknown, and I walk confidently in knowing that He has already seen it all and is not surprised by anything that we (the persecuted and the persecutor) do, say, or choose.

So what does it have to do with the soldiers casting lots for Jesus’ garment?

As we are in the thick of any battle, watching the humiliation, the scoffing, the suffering taking place and grieving for ourselves or with others, I want to remind us that what we see isn’t what it’s about. There is a bigger plan in all these.

What is the plan?

That His glory prevails. That His children have Salvation, and His name be praised.

In Luke 24, Jesus said to the disciples who did not recognize Him after His resurrection, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” (Luke 24:25-26, NIV). I often forget God’s promises that He is with us and will be with us until the end of time. This passage is a sober reminder that I am a fool who so often forgets what He said He was and is going to do. The gift of Scripture is that it reminds me time and time again that I can rest in His words, and in doing so, I have His peace, and I can have forbearance towards chaos, the unknown, and injustice. My job is simple – believing that He is intimately involved in my life; nothing escapes Him; He is good, and His love endures forever. Those who wish to cast lots can cast lots; my purpose is to be obedient, remember what He says about suffering, remember I am His workmanship created to do His work, and do good.

I invite you to do the same – Let the world cast its lots. Take a step back always, remember His Words, trust Him, and keep doing good.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, you said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear” (Matt. 11:15, NIV). I pray for wisdom, faithfulness, patience and endurance for us – your people. May we search your heart and the Scripture so that we may have understanding, have our peace in times of trouble, and be the salt, be the light, be the city on a hill, to bring the hope of Glory to a lost world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind :)