"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."
--Hebrews 12:1-4 (NIV, 1984)

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Station 6: Jesus is taken down from the cross | Reflection by Francis Dennis

"Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2, ESV)

I've learned to live powerfully and grown stronger by “carrying another’s burden” in my life with Jesus. However, there was a time when I was not so strong. I look back wondering why I didn’t say something when I had a chance to declare my faith in God, especially when this could have helped someone to draw closer to Jesus. I found there to be different layers to increasing relationship with Christ. One of them is changing my thinking, a process that includes every minute of every day. For me, it started with forgiving others and not being resentful. This began to unlock and increase my capacity to believe and help others!
   
Throughout life’s journey, I have found myself lacking  minimum resources. 2 Corinthians 5:7 calls us “to walk by faith, not by sight” (ESV). At times, I have been jobless and homeless, with the occasional motel room, not knowing if I would have the rent by 12 noon or where my next meal would come from. I know, when I was faithful and humbly serving the Lord, no matter what the circumstances, HE ALWAYS PROVIDED WHAT WAS NEEDED, IN HIS PERFECT TIMING!  Sometimes it was at the eleventh hour. While walking through that trial, my relationship grew with Jesus, and my faith was strengthened!

In 2001, I met a woman named Bonni through the church. With the support of my dad and oldest brother, she stepped up and selflessly helped me get away from an abusive situation. I’m reminded of Colossians 2:2-3: “My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (NIV). Bonni boosted me up and was patient, kind, and gentle with me. She inspired me because she was a good example of Christ’s love. She also shared God’s wisdom and knowledge with me. This was a pivotal time in my life because she showed me ways of seeking God that I never knew.

At just the right time, God sent Bonni, my dad, and oldest brother to help lead the way. They showed me what it means to bear one another’s burdens and Jesus and his leading by the Holy Spirit; I was strengthened so that I can in turn carry and help others in times of need. Through my friend’s and family’s  faith, I am encouraged and prepared to plant seeds, humbly ministering to those who want it. I am blessed that people gave to me when I needed it most, and now I get to give to others.

Jesus is so right:
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Luke 12:34, NIV). 
I am grateful for everything and hope you too get to experience the blessing of increased giving in this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind :)